Thursday, March 19, 2009

What Were They Smoking That Day?

I was driving south on Orange Blossom Trail today, and as I was just about to crossover Highway 50, I noticed a sign by the road side that read “Welcome To Orlando…The City Beautiful”. For some reason, I guess it kinda struck me funny when I read that, because the area I was about to enter is lined with run down weekly rental motels, and as you get a little deeper, you can witness the usual drug deal going down, or prostitutes walking the streets. I guess there might be a few people, who would view these things as beautiful, along with the violent crime and murder that occurs in these areas, but I don’t believe that your average tourist would be all that amused. I thought to myself, how would we respond if we saw a sign that read “Welcome to Beirut Lebanon, the City Beautiful” or Welcome to Falujjah Iraq, the City Beautiful”. I am starting to think that maybe the politicians have become out of touch with the pulse of this city being so far removed in their ivory towers. Maybe as a cost cutting measure, they could open up their offices on this stretch of OBT. I am sure there are plenty of cheap motel rooms for rent that could be converted to office spaces.

Let it be noted for the record, that Gun Shy does have a heart for the hard working law abiding people who also live in these areas, and wishes that it could be better for their benefit.

No comments: