Monday, January 5, 2009

Something from the ooh rah file

72-Year-Old Marine Fights Off Pickpocket

When Gun Shy is out and about, he likes to work out in public parks. A week or so ago, I was in a park doing pull ups, and I noticed an older man watching me and talking with a woman. I overheard him say to the woman “That’s real good, most people cant even do a couple”. The man walked over to me and we started to converse. Standing before me was a man, who appeared to be in his early sixties and was very muscular, appearing to be extremely fit. He started telling me about how many pull ups he could do when he was younger while lamenting that he was getting old. I looked at him and said “Are you kidding me? You are in superb shape for a man in his sixties.” It turns out that he was a former Marine who was 85 years old. We exchanged a few exercises, as I watched him get down and bang out push ups on his finger tips in perfect form. He then sat flat on the ground, pushed up on his finger tips clearing the ground while holding his legs in a a leg lift position. I thought that this was phenomenal, and told him that seeing him gave me hope for the future as I age. We talked for hours as I spent an enjoyable morning with a funny and motivated man. I knew another man in his mid seventies, also a former Marine who was in the same kind of shape and conditioning, so seeing the above video of the 72 year old former Marine owning some dirt bag was no surprise to me. It is amazing how far a can do attitude will get a person in life.

No comments: