Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Spirit of Working America

I was out on a little regional road trip the other day, and I came across some roadside stands as you often do in rural Florida. As I was getting closer to the stand, there were signs by the side of the road every 500 feet that read...SPICY BOILED PEANUTS......GATOR JERKY......LOCAL HONNY. Well as the readers can see, the person who wrote the sign spelled honey wrong. This got Gun Shy to thinkin', and here is my conclusion. The person running the stand might not have the best education, but they dang sure know how to get up early in the morning, and work all day out in 95 degree heat to make an honest living to support their families, while others complain about having to sit in an air conditioned welfare office to sign up for a check. To me, these people represent the True American Spirit, and Gun Shy has high regards for them. I would love to see those pampered whiners in the congress, senate, and white house who don't show up half the time to do their jobs and sign bills that they didn't even take the time to read into law while getting astronomical salaries, be given the task of operating a roadside stand with all of their mighty "education" and experience. These government officials are the real welfare recipients in my opinion, and they wouldn't last an hour if they had to work hard as these people do. A while back I stopped at a stand that was owned by a Vietnam Veteran. We started talking and he pulled some of his pictures while in country. I had a great time conversing with him, and of course, spent some money on his wares. People like this, who work hard to make their own way and ask nothing from the system make me proud to be an American. Gun Shy salutes all of the hard working Americans who set up roadside stands which help to keep a little part of Americana alive.

No comments: