Thursday, June 4, 2009

Words That Gun Shy is Tired Of

If I never hear the word tactical used again for the rest of my life it will be too soon. I find it interesting that if someone takes a run of the mill shotgun, paints it black and puts a pistol grip on it, it is then advertised as a “tactical” shotgun. Everyone and their brother is now running “tactical” training classes. I have observed a few of them where people who are not even at the basics level of manipulating their weapon were allowed to attend, and then cringed as I watched them muzzle the other attendees with a loaded weapon on multiple occasions. It was so troubling to me that I had to exit the building. People need to realize that much of this tactical training offered to the public is just smoke and mirrors, with only a few qualified people out there teaching combat style weaponry and its correct application. Think about it for a moment, and then ask yourself this question. How much does it cost to train a Spec Operator such as a SEAL, Recon, or SF and how long does it take? There are variables, but it can take up to about 30 months of training when all stages and facets are considered. I have never seen an exact dollar amount, but I can assure you that it isn’t achieved by being enrolled in a few $500.00 tactical classes. I think it is time to put the word tactical to bed and come up with a new buzz phrase.

No comments: